What is Compression Therapy?
As you move throughout the day, the contraction and relaxation of your calf muscles surrounding your veins helps to return blood flow to the heart for circulation. When there is problem with blood flow the veins in the lower limbs can often become stretched and can no longer adequately return blood flow to the heart. This may result in pooling of blood, edema (swelling), varicose veins, insufficiency or more common problems such as achy calf muscles and sore feet.
Compression Therapy is highly recommended to help restore blood flow by helping your muscles to squeeze stretched veins together to close the valves and return blood flow to the heart.
The most common compression levels are:
- 15 - 20 mmHg
- 20 - 30 mmHg
- 30 - 40 mmHg
The diagram on the right represents how the graduated compression works, with 100% of the compression being applied at the ankle and decreasing as you work up the leg. This is instrumental to the function of compression stockings to help encourage an improved overall circulation.
We also offer custom compression stockings and wraps which will require an appointment to made due to special customized measurements by a trained staff member. Custom suppliers include Circaid and Juxatlite.
Here at Norfolk Pharmacy & Surgical Supplies we offer complete services for all your compression needs!
Our qualified & trained staff are happy to assist you with any questions you have and we are here to make your compression therapy as simple as possible.
If you are interested in starting compression therapy here is some important information for you to know before visiting the store:
- If you have a doctor's prescription please bring it with you to the store.
- 15-20mmHg is the lowest compression level and can be sold over the counter without a prescription. Please note that the higher compression levels will require a doctor's prescription to be sold.
- If you have Extended Health Insurance please call your insurance company to confirm the details of your coverage before visiting the store. Please note that we do not offer direct billing but will honor no tax on products that have a corresponding doctor's prescription. You will be provided with a valid receipt to submit to your insurance company.
- You do not require an appointment to be measured for compression stockings just drop by the store during operating hours. However if you have significant swelling in your ankle or foot throughout the day we ask that you try and visit the store as early as possible in the morning so that we may attain the most accurate measurement of your legs.
- Next you will be offered a variety of styles from our multiple suppliers to choose from and based on the selection we may have your item in stock or we place an order that can take up to 7 business days.
Here at Norfolk Pharmacy & Surgical Supplies we offer a wide selection and variety of products to meet any individual style or preference. Our suppliers include:
If you have any questions regarding the process or product inquiries please call the store or come visit us and we would be happy to help!